Where am I? Who Am I? What Am I?

Imposter Syndrome, a mental plague which I found myself struggling with as I entered my first year of college at Bronx Community College during the Fall 2024 semester. I felt alienated walking through this lustrous, diverse campus that previously held NYU students, before CUNY purchased the campus in 1973. As I had taken a gap year after high school to prepare myself for what the world could possibly hold for me in the future, I soon realized the “real world” is much harsher and unkind to those without a plan. Foolish of me to do things blindly, but you live and learn.

Fast forward one year, I found myself far more connected to various success programs than I could have ever imagined, compared to my previous years of my academic journey. I can now thankfully say I am a CUNY Peer Leader, an SGA Senator for BCC, and an accounting tutor for College Discovery (SEEK) at BCC. During high school, I maybe joined two clubs that I occasionally visited, and had the mentality of “C’s get degrees.” Now, I find myself looking for more things to do, reaching out for information, consuming more knowledge, and becoming a completely different person to myself from a few years ago.

But at the same time, I don’t feel different at all. I have the same approach to outreach efforts, same approach to assignments, and same mentality. Yet, my results are different. How can this be? It’s simple, really (no it’s not, this is minimizing the issue!); I’m applying myself and rejecting distractions that previously consumed me. These distractions left me with very little time to do any work, and a sense of helplessness.

However, something changed once I arrived to BCC, and more specifically, CD (SEEK). I spoke to my academic advisor and he saw potential in me. He gave me hope and reassurance in many things, whether it be the academic or personal obstacles I found myself against. This was something I lacked in high school, that person, or support group, I could go to and get that confidence from. Eventually, I was picked up by CD as their accounting tutor after my first semester, and the rest up until now is thanks to him.

Something that I found myself reflecting on was this imposter syndrome, this mask, that makes me feel out of place at times. It is true that you should fake it till you make it for somethings in life, but I say you should embrace that mental block in your mind, that uncomfortable feeling that stops you from even attempting to do certain things.

I had the chance to do all that I’ve done in the past year since day 1, but I chose not to; until I had my success group. The people you surround yourself with are essential to your personal growth, and what makes programs like this one so special is the fact that so many like minded individuals can come together to learn and grow with one another.

Instead of saying, “I’m not qualified to do this,” or, “I shouldn’t bother,” embrace that uncertainty and let it flow naturally, not through the emotion of doubt. There are so many leaders out there waiting to be found, but they could be dealing with a multitude of obstacles blocking them from seeing their potential. I am not saying I am the best person to reveal these hidden gems of individuals, but I do feel confident in saying that others are out there waiting for an opportunity to learn, grow, and eventually do things they never imagined themselves doing.