Brown People in White Schools: Is Education Equitable?

I sit cross-legged, hair unbrushed, eyes half open. Through my laptop screen, I hear her monotonous voice and it lulls me back to sleep. I pull the covers closer to my chest. I wonder what facet of Sociology I’m supposed to be learning about today. My mind drifts from lecture, to lesson, to living, to learning, to unlearning, to understanding, to unwinding, to wondering, to wandering, to what the fuck is going on?

– thoughts on covid and learning by teresa

Cathy Davidson started off the event by introducing its main topics: COVID, education, inequality, and race. Carla Shedd, professor of sociology and urban education at The Graduate Center, began the discussion by unpacking “whose educations are deemed disposable” during COVID. Carla made the distinction between CUNY and Ivy League institutions as well as public and private universities. It was shocking to see the range of responses from colleges regarding students’ possible “reentry”. Carla was quick to say, “COVID made clear what these universities’ perspectives are. What are their missions in the name of education?” Tressie Cottom, co-host (with Roxane Gay) of the podcast Hear to Slay, continued the conversation by explaining which students have been impacted by the changes in education due to the pandemic. Tressie was firm in her notion that “we cannot let go of the ideal college student.” She mentioned that, in higher education, most students are female and rely on granted services such as childcare, healthcare, and transportation to function within society. It was upsetting – not surprising – to hear that universities turn up their noses at such students. 

On the topic of “Inequality, Race, and Education,” Cathy states that students are seven times more likely to drop out of school for economic reasons – it is a difference of having or not having $200. When Cathy read aloud this statistic, I instantly thought of Ranita Ray’s book “The Making of a Teenage Service Class: Poverty and Mobility in an American City.” In this book, Ray explores and debunks stereotypes placed on economically marginalized black and brown youth, specifically focusing on drugs, gangs, teen parenthood, and education. Ray documents the daily happenings of youth in Port City. One of the teens, Angie, is constantly sacrificing her education for a decent job. Although Angie does everything in her power to attend classes, complete homework, and make connections, she is forced to drop out due to external factors. Transportation, family, financial status, and romantic relationships all affect Angie’s ability to complete high school and even apply to college. These are factors that Angie cannot control! 

It was incredibly refreshing to hear Carla and Tressie talk about changing the discourse surrounding education in America. They mentioned this idea of “individual wish fulfillment” and how we (as a society) are only concerned about personal economic growth. In that individualistic thinking, we forget that colleges and universities are more than buildings with professors and libraries. They are microcosms of information, communion, and wealth. Schools have the ability to correct so many wrongs in society! 

“If we were putting more funding into these universities, we would be putting people on very different life trajectories.” – Carla Shedd

In thinking about what I can do to make education equitable, I believe that we can start by ridding ourselves of the need for “individual welfare”. We need to pick a good major, to find a good job, to make a decent living. This mentality is what divides people in the United States; it is the commodification of education. Rather, we should view college as the social fabric of our society. We should develop a language of higher education that moves from individualism to collectivism

Book Reccomendations:

1. “The Making of a Teenage Service Class: Poverty and Mobility in an American City” by Ranita Ray 
  2. “Dream Hoarders: How the American Upper Middle Class Is Leaving Everyone Else in the Dust, Why That Is a Problem, and What to Do About It” by Richard Reeves