Dreams

Hold fast to dreams

For if dreams die

Life is a broken-winged bird

That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams

For when dreams go

Life is a barren field

Frozen with snow.

So, hold on to your dreams and never give up, for they are what give life meaning and hope.

~L. Huges~

Langston Hughes is actually one of my favorite poets. Ever since I came across his work in high school I have been obsessed. So you can imagine my delight when I found out our CPL group was diving into his work! He was a prominent African American writer and poet of the 20th century. He is widely recognized for his contributions to the Harlem Renaissance, a cultural movement that celebrated the art, music, and literature of black people in the 1920s and 1930s. In his poem “Dreams,” Hughes encourages his readers to hold on to their dreams and never give up, even in the face of adversity.  Three main points that truly resonates with me are ;

1. Dreams are essential to the human spirit. Hughes argues that dreams are a vital part of human existence and that without them, life loses its meaning. He suggests that it is our dreams that give us hope and keep us going, even when we face obstacles and setbacks.This is super important and true because many times in my life when I have been down and out. This poem has lifted my spirits and gave me cause for hope. It reminded me that dreams are worth holding on too no matter how far fetched they seem
  2. Black people have often been denied the opportunity to pursue their dreams. Throughout history, black people have faced systemic racism and discrimination that have made it difficult for them to achieve their goals. Hughes acknowledges this reality in his poem, but he also encourages his readers not to give up. He suggests that black people should hold on to their dreams and continue to strive for a better future, even in the face of adversity. Good old school fashioned grit is key, this poem oozes this characteristic.
  3. Finally dreams can become reality with perseverance and determination. Although the road to achieving one’s dreams may be difficult, Hughes believes that it is possible to overcome obstacles and make dreams a reality. He suggests that it is important to keep pushing forward and to never give up, even when the journey seems impossible. For black people, this message is particularly relevant, as they have often had to work harder than others to achieve their dreams.

Langston Hughes’s poem “Dreams” is a powerful reminder of the importance of holding on to one’s dreams and never giving up. For black people, this poem is particularly relevant, as it speaks to our struggle for equality and the challenges we have faced in pursuing our dreams.