History with Music

The genres of music that I have always identify with is rhythm and blues which for me displays the artistic prowess of communities of color in during the mid-20th century. To me personally, R&B has been a way of displaying character and emotions while just having fun. You can dance to it, do work with it in the background, it’s just versatile, as the cultures that have created it and used it for expression. I also know it had an influence on hip-hop which is probably why they both intertwine so well in my lifestyle. I started listening to R&B in high school and it had inspired my sense of self as I had also seen myself as someone who is very expressive when it comes to my thoughts and opinions. Something that I really enjoy about the variety of instruments and vocals and the soul to it. I don’t think it can be replicated as well as it is in that genre. Whenever my family has a party of some sorts, we always play at least one song that is just soul. Another genre of music that I really enjoy is pop, but it usually depends on who the artist is. This is the dancing songs that are more about just rocking out and having fun, or to get into a good mood. It has a significance to a lot of films and shows and can never be avoided And of course, I can never forget Punta, the music of Honduras, my heritage. Whenever I went to a party or a gathering that is what was always blasting on a huge speaker. It isn’t something that I listen to actively, but it is something I respect because it is the music of my ancestors I appreciate its rich history.