Tropical Melodies

Steel pan is a musical instrument created in Trinidad and Tobago in the 1930’s. The instrument produces a distinct and recognizable sound that can be heard in many songs around the world. The sound of the steel pan can be described as bright, percussive and melodic. The notes are arranged in a circular pattern with the lower-pitched notes in the center and the higher pitched notes towards the edge. When struck by sticks with a rubber end, its notes resonate with a warm metallic quality. 

The steel pan comes in different types, each with its own distinct sound and range of notes. However, when played together these instruments create a rich and harmonious sound that is both energetic and captivating. Typically, the instrument is played around carnival, the time of its birth. 

After the emancipation of slaves in the early 1800’s, former slaves were allowed to participate in Trinidadian carnival activities. But this demographic was heavily censored and often targeted by restrictive government laws. In protest these former slaves devised their own form of celebration using improvisational instruments made of scrap metal, the steel pan. Now the instrument is played during different carnival festivities and competitions. Its sound brings everyone together to dance, collaborate or simply to listen. 

One of the first songs that I learned to play was Feliz Navidad. It may seem unconventional that I would learn a christmas song when carnival typically starts in March. But when it comes to carnival preparations are made as soon as the Christmas tree goes up. 

It was a fun experience to play and I eventually got to learn a few songs from my grandpa. I even went to a few concerts with steel pan players. It’s honestly a wonderful instrument with so much cultural impact as it truly evokes the spirit of the Caribbean.