Reflection on the Humanities Alliance seminar

I have never once regretted my decision to enroll at QCC, as it has opened up numerous avenues for me to learn and grow within my professional domain. What’s even more significant is the opportunity it has afforded me to become a part of the CUNY community and connect with a diverse and brilliant group of CUNY peers. One notable moment was my participation in the Humanities Alliance Graduate Fellow’s seminar on October 25. This event marked my first interaction with CUNY’s graduate students, and it genuinely expanded my understanding of CUNY as a supportive and vibrant community.

The standout experience for me was the remarkable sense of community among the graduate students. Some of them share a close relationship, evident when they openly discussed their journeys to CUNY. During our online seminar on Zoom, participants exchanged stories and resources in the chat box, demonstrating a genuine willingness to support one another. This reassuring environment gives me the confidence that, as long as I remain a part of this community, I won’t be left to navigate challenges alone, and there will always be individuals who care and readily extend a helping hand whenever needed.

Additionally, what truly struck me was the enthusiasm and passion that most graduate students presented when they spoke about their respective professions. Many shared stories of facing rejections and setbacks when applying for graduate school or a PhD, but what shone through was their resilience and personal growth throughout the process. Eventually, they attained admission into the programs they had long for. As someone with aspirations to attend graduate school, their narratives served as a motivating booster, reinforcing my belief that graduate school is the path I genuinely want to pursue. It is also comforting to realize that I am not alone in pursuing my dreams, and many others are also on a similar journey.

Due to time constraints, I was unable to share the second question about the support I received that has helped me get where I am now, but I’d like to share it here because I want to give credit to those who helped me. 

I already know that I’m dedicated to Psychology prior to attending QCC. But the support here is what truly helps to make my dream come true. My academic advisor, tutors, counselor, and professors ofc. Especially my psychology classes professor Dr. Mulone, we work together a lot, so she is always able to provide professional advice regarding academics and careers planning. In my opinion, QCC is really resourceful, all you need to do is to dig into it. Especially for me, since I’m an international student, there’re a lot of limitations and restrictions when it comes to scholarships and internships, so I really need to know everything. Outside the campus, I usually find resources from the PTK network that I joined, where they share events / internships / scholarships. (I also joined CPL because I received an email from my PTK advisor.) It really helps to enrich my experience in America, to get to meet new friends, visit different places, and just learn more about the culture and the society. Now, I feel like I gain more experience here and I also want to continue my higher education here.

— Blaire Ng