The thing I made change in your community

Last summer, the covid-19 was still very wide-spread in the United States. With the daily updated news and the increase in the number of confirmed cases, everything pointed to the difficulties of the current period. Low-income people were the most difficult group. They needed government relief funds and community food supplies. However, during that difficult time, few people were willing to go out to do food distribution work. I think, as a young person in the new era, I have a responsibility to do something. I wanted to do something meaningful to help those who are in difficult times. I registered online as a volunteer of Kehilat Sephardim of Ahavat Achim. What I did was package food and nutrition and distributed it to marginalized communities around Queens. And I worked with other volunteers to select and assess food packages and calculate distribution yields. Even though the weather was very hot, and it was tiring to keep standing to pack food, I still liked the process very much and enjoyed the happy expressions of seeing people getting food. And, when I heard every “thank you”, I felt that what I was doing was so rewarding. I think everything was worth it. I not only felt good about helping others, but also got to spend time doing what I love to do.

From the experience I have learned many things that I never learned in class. I learned how to work well on a team, and how to improve organizational skills. I know that all of this is critical for my professional growth. In a word, I’d like to help people who need help any time.