Poem Reflection “Let America be America again.”

The first impression I had when I first read the topic of the poem is that it expresses my inner voice about America. This poem is a strong poem about how America should be. Often every single day, when I travel through the subway, I encounter lot of helpless people who needs some professional help. I see a lot of people who are on the streets asking for help and no one is there to help because we are now scared of them. We are scared to help people and they receive no professional help from anyone. That’s not how America was before where people had to suffer out of hunger. Every single day, I see the store has locked their basic items because of shoplifting where America used to be considered the safest country to be. The freedom of speech is no more freedom of speech anymore. People used to be able to express their words and points earlier and they didn’t used to feel scared of being attacked by ordinary people. Now America has become such a place where if you try to raise your voice for something you have no idea you might get shot on the spot. The police are going to just come and report but at the end you would question the pledge of allegiance you took. The pledge where you go saying, “I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible with liberty and justice for all”. But now you end up questioning where actually justice is.  The poem ‘Let America be America again” really reflects the way America has to restore itself again to be considered as America. The line where it said, “I am the immigrant clutching the hope I seek” expresses how important the land of America is for certain groups of people including immigrants. It’s one of their places of hope of getting their life back.