The Uncertainty of the Rest of My Life

Whenever people ask me what I want to do with the rest of my life, I would think, how could people really know what they want to do for their short lives? What if people know about their faiths for the past of their life, but suddenly, they do not know anymore at some point? Likewise, people often endeavor to strive for a great desired future, but how can the person know that is what they really want to do? Isn’t life should be a process of finding a goal? Or don’t we spend our whole life finding our anticipation and enthusiasm?

I watched a movie this year, and it is called My Own Private Idaho, which gives a piece of solid evidence to prove this idea. The leading actor is called Scott Favor, cast by Keanu Reeves. Scott comes from a wealthy mayor’s family. He loses his passion for life when he is twenty years old and wants to find a meaningful life before he turns twenty-one. He escapes from his family and becomes a vagrant on the streets. His other identification is as a sex worker before he inherited his father’s money. He experienced terrible but meaningful life while he was homeless. A future that is waiting for you might not be the one you like; however, you might want to seek a blurry but joyful future.

When I was a kid, I got influenced by my surroundings, like peers, family members, and maybe even the tendency of popularity during the time. So, for example, there was a period people around me wanted to be cooks because they thought cooks and chefs would never lose their jobs in restaurants, and many people were trying to go to skill-oriented institutions to learn how to be cooks. Therefore, those people triggered me, and I thought I should be a cook, too, so I went to one of the cooking training studios in my neighborhood before I went to college. However, I did not prefer being in the kitchen from daylight to nighttime, working and preparing food, working and preparing food. So after that, I reconsidered what I wanted to do or who I wanted to be in the future. Life wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows for me, and things had replayed. I thought I would be an interior designer, but after three years of college study, I was not enjoying the major and the work. So I dropped out of school and took my time to think about what I wanted to do for the rest of my life after the years of break. During that time, I was working as an accountant and enjoyed it at the beginning of the three months; however, my hatred of the work slowly appeared again. Finally, I got my peers’ and friends’ suggestions and recommendations to major in computer science. Things are going smoothly so far in my academic life.
Life also is not black and white. Our lives and opportunities are vigorously shown to us. And even we are confident about the certainty of what we believe. So in terms of that, we should learn how to embrace our uncertainties to live unpredictable lives.

One thought on “The Uncertainty of the Rest of My Life

1. Kelsey Milian (she/her/hers)

Sometimes I think life is about doing many things all at once and nothing at all. Meaning, we cannot limit ourselves t one occupation, one passion. I am glad you made the realization to follow your passions instead of being pressured from others. Our paths are unique and one of a kind. I need to watch this movie!