Helping My People

As a queer, Muslim, South-Asian woman, I identify with communities that have not historically intersected. Because homosexuality is considered a sin by Islamic theology, the conservative Muslim community I grew up in rejects the idea of a religious queer person and, thus, rejects my identity. Facing this rejection, I sought out a safe environment to embrace my multifaceted identity. My experience with inclusive communities that uplift women in economic and social sectors highlighted the misogynistic gender roles in South-Asian households, which inspired me to learn how social roles prevent many women from participating in socioeconomic affairs. As a result, I decided to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in International Development through CUNY Baccalaureate for Unique and Interdisciplinary Studies. I have designed a curriculum to analyze the relationship between international politics and economic policies. I plan to use this analysis to address social justice issues by developing policies that address social barriers, political instability, and economic inequity. This intersectional and interdisciplinary approach will allow me to develop equitable solutions by addressing all issues marginalized communities face. I have already been working toward my social justice goals by helping underprivileged minority communities. 

Working with underprivileged communities, with whom I identify, has allowed me to address social justice issues. As a Muslim American, I have witnessed anti-Muslim agendas present in media and politics, particularly in news outlets that label crimes committed by Muslims as terrorist attacks or government agencies that use terrorist prevention programs to monitor Muslims. While working at the American Civil Liberties Union, I developed a campaign proposal to combat Muslim surveillance by focusing on the Center for Prevention Programs and Partnership (CP3), one of the largest funders of Muslim surveillance programs within cities and local organizations. My proposed solution focused on building Muslim Americans’ political power and changing the prevailing narrative of Muslims, to combat discriminatory policies fueled by Islamophobia. Uniquely, the solution considers the effect that surveillance has on the fundamental rights of Muslims in America. The fear of being labeled a terrorist has prevented many people from voicing their political concerns, praying at mosques, or seeking help for mental health issues, limiting their access to freedom of speech, religion, and privacy, and, thus, eroding fundamental constitutional rights among Muslims. Thus, the key goal of the proposal is to change the pervasive American narrative that all Muslims are, or have the potential to be, terrorists because this narrative influences the outcomes of programs like CP3 by racially profiling Muslims. 

My approach to dealing with this social problem is to build community power allowing Muslims to oppose current terrorist prevention programs and revolt against ongoing and future surveillance programs. To gain political influence, I proposed emphasizing targeted Muslims’ personal experiences, including Muslims in discussions about policies that directly affect them, and creating a bridge between the community and government officials. Working on these objectives made me realize what I was already doing for the Queens’ Muslim community while volunteering with the American Pakistani Advocacy Group (APAG), a nonprofit organization in New York dedicated to empowering Muslim Pakistanis. I helped plan a conversation with Senator Charles Schumer so the Pakistani community could interact with the state’s political leaders. The community members were able to express their concerns about how Pakistani Americans are treated in New York and learn more about Senator Schumer’s plans to assist the South-Asian community. This opportunity also enabled me to inform more individuals, especially women, about their political rights through events like a meet and greet. In all, educating and organizing the community to build political power was an initial step toward combating the anti-Muslim agendas in America. I noticed the solutions I proposed in my campaign at ACLU were only applicable because I had experience actively engaging with the community; however, I realized the proposal had weaknesses because I had no formal mentoring or training. Thus, I want my degree, and higher education to offer me a more immersive experience to expand my knowledge of social innovation and policy work and allow me to apply this knowledge in my

One thought on “Helping My People