“What Was I Made For?” — A Reflection on The Humanities Alliance Seminar

Being part of the discussion with graduate students at the Humanities Alliance Seminar allowed me to reflect on my journey. As I find myself surrounded by uncertainties for the first time in my life, it feels both freeing yet suffocating. Going into college I had a rigid checklist. Complete my undergraduate degree in four years, become a doctor, own a house, help my parents retire, and have a cat. So far, I have the cat part down but sometimes I wonder if I have a pet or if she has a human.

The seminar allowed me to think back to the bright eyed Noreen I once was, going into college. Initially, I regretted going to City College. Online classes were tough and the loss of a sense of community truly terrified me. However, things started to change once in-person classes resumed. The Seminar reminded me of my own resiliency and how excited I had been and still am to attend a CUNY school. While my path to College was somewhat straightforward, hearing others’ journey to receiving an undergraduate degree truly reminded me of how different and unique everybody’s paths can be.

The second reflection question regarding support truly allowed me to reflect on myself and my support system. My family has been a strong proponent of education and taught me the importance of education from a young age. However, they were truly shocked when I decided to pursue a degree in Psychology. As a freshamn I was undecided on what to major in. This changed when I took a Psychology course at CCNY, called Brain, Mind and Experience. Being able to see the interactions of the Brain and the Mind, understand cognition and the underlying mechanisms of cognition was truly astounding. This academic exploration could not have been possible without my Macaulay Tuition Scholarship. While the requirements of being in the program felt rigid sometimes (I would never take 4 seminar classes ever again), I believe this alleviated a lot of financial stress and provided enrichment opportunities. The support provided by my academic advisors, mentors and college community has allowed em to explore the various career paths available for me.

I think attending the seminar was truly an enriching and mentally stimulating opportunity. Being able to see graduate students who are passionate about their respective fields, think back to my past self and current goals, as well as listening to others share their own thoughts has been a fulfilling opportunity.

— Noreen Ahmed.