Chanoyu (Japanese Tea Ceremony) 

During the fall semester, I had the pleasure of participating in a Chanoyu class, also known as a Japanese tea ceremony class. This comprehensive course included a lecture on the history and cultural significance of the tea ceremony, as well as a practicum portion where we learned the intricate steps and strict etiquette involved in performing a Japanese tea ceremony.

While the primary goal of the class was to introduce us to this essential aspect of Japanese culture, one particular achievement stands out for me – the opportunity to actually perform the tea ceremony in front of an audience at Hunter College.

By November 2023, our class was organized into groups of three, each assigned a role as either a host, guest, or narrator. Eager to immerse myself in the experience, I chose to be a host, inspired by the enjoyment I derived from the practical exercises in class. However, as the presentation date approached, doubts crept in, fueled by my struggles during practice sessions with groupmates. Despite my initial confidence in mastering the practicum, I found myself making mistakes and missing crucial steps.

Recognizing the weight of the impending performance, I sought guidance from my professor. His advice proved invaluable: I needed to watch instructional videos repeatedly until the steps were ingrained in my memory. Following this, I was to practice, record myself, and analyze areas that needed improvement. Grateful for this guidance, I diligently applied the strategy, not only practicing alone but also collaborating with a friend who shared the role of a host. This collaborative effort allowed us to identify areas of improvement and fine-tune our performances.

As the day of our presentation, December 6, 2023, arrived, a mix of nerves and excitement enveloped me. The anxiety escalated as I entered a room filled with spectators, including supportive friends who were not part of the class. Their presence served as a source of comfort, and I appreciated their encouragement.

My group had the honor of presenting first. Stepping into my role as a host, I executed the ceremony with confidence. However, a moment of panic struck when, towards the end of my performance, my knee accidentally nudged the tea scoop, causing it to fall out of the tray. Despite this unexpected mishap, I composed myself and exited gracefully, pretending as though nothing had occurred.

This experience deepened my understanding of the host’s responsibility to create a serene environment not only for the guest but also for the surrounding audience. I gained newfound appreciation for the exceptional skill and hard work demonstrated by tea hosts in conveying a profound sense of harmony. In overcoming doubts and unexpected challenges, I emerged from this Chanoyu class with a heightened sense of accomplishment and a greater appreciation for the cultural nuances embedded in the Japanese tea ceremony.